submit a death
Adam Hogarty (17) taken off life following several days in a coma caused by a drug overdose
Published: Aug 28, 2008 @ 9:27 AM
Adam Hogarty (17)
Aug 25, 2008
Cause of Death:
view their profile
MAYFIELD, KY - Friends of a Mayfield, Kentucky teenager are mourning his death. The teen's family decided to take him off life support Monday afternoon following several days in a coma caused by a drug overdose.
Ethan Edwards faces a charge of first-degree manslaughter in Adam Hogarty's death. Edwards admitted to Sheriff's Deputies he sold a morphine-codeine mixture to Hogarty.
As of Monday night Edwards remained in the Graves County Jail. Meantime, 17-year-old Adam Hogarty's friends are turning to each other for support. People are remembering him as a good friend, one who was a little goofy but always in a good mood. Now, the reality of Hogarty's death is starting to settle in.
Adam Hogarty's friends are going through a very tough time. They traveled to Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville Monday to see their friend for the last time.
"(We) all got to just talk with him, just pretty much say goodbye to him. He was always just so upbeat, never in a bad mood at all," Hogarty's friend Tara Lindsey said.
This weekend Adam overdosed on a mixture of morphine and codeine inside a home on Erwin Drive in Mayfield. He slipped into a coma and never woke up. Monday afternoon he was taken off life support. Local 6 spoke with several people who live in the neighborhood where Hogarty was found and all of them say it's a great place to call home. They're also aware that no community is immune to drugs.
"He was just always really nice and sweet to all his friends," Lindsey said.
As the shock of Adam's death wears off his friends are remembering the person.
"You know, whenever he gets all around his friends he's a very outgoing well person," Hogarty's friend Mccartney Scarbrough said.
"Just somebody I could turn to no matter what. Pretty much a best friend and he was like another brother to me," added Lindsey.
Hogarty's friends know the decision to let him go was a hard one, but one they're trying to understand.
"I mean he's in a better place. I'd rather my friend be up in heaven instead of being down here being permanently brain damaged for the rest of his life," Scarbrough said.
Sheriff's Deputies say the drug mixture Hogarty took is known on the street as "morphine tea."
Things parents need to know to keep their kids from getting a hold of these drugs. First, make sure pain killers, especially morphine and codeine, are clearly marked. Keep them in the prescription bottle.
Secondly, parents, and especially grandparents, need to keep those kind of drugs in a lock box or in a locked medicine cabinet.
Friends React To Local Teen's Death.
go back to article archive list
article loaded in 16 ms
Mason Mizwicki (16) overdosed on prescription methadone that was supplied by Tara Teistma (36), his friend's mother
Joey and Brett Jackson said Mason Mizwicki fit in well with their family.
Shizette Smith (24) overdosed on opiates
Shizette Ann Smith October 8, 1991 April 14, 2016
Shawn Fookes (53) died from the effects of multiple drugs
Manner: ACCIDENT Cause A: SEQUELAE OF MULTIPLE DRUG EFFECTS
Elaine Mason (33) lost her battle with clinical depression
Today we were supposed to go into the doctor to find out about medication. Thoughts keep running through my head about what I could have done to prevent Elaine from taking her own life.
Tate Spillett (37) killed his stepson Corbin Hilaker (15) and his two biological children in their sleep before he turned the gun on himself
Authorities are investigating a murder-suicide after a man and three children were found shot to death inside a Preston, Idaho, home.
Copyright © 2009 MyDeathSpace.com