In his last moments, a Milwaukee student pleaded for his life, telling his captors he had a family and he wouldn't tell anyone about the theft of his car, a court record reveals.

But Haroon Khan's pleas were in vain and he was brutally stabbed near Watertown last week, his body dumped in a shallow grave by a man who wanted his 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, according to a complaint.

That man, 20-year-old Travis Zoellick of Watertown, shot himself while police were conducting surveillance on his house on Oct. 3, police say.

Zoellick's girlfriend, Tammy LaFave, 21, of Delafield, is expected to be charged today (Tuesday) with party to a crime of first-degree homicide and kidnapping.

One of Zoellick's friends, Zachary Zaborek, was charged Monday in Dodge County Circuit Court with aiding a felon in connection with the 31-year-old Khan's death. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 3½ years in prison and a $10,000 fine. No one from the victim's family was present in the courtroom.

Zoellick had told Zaborek of his plans to steal a car and kill the owner if necessary, according to court records.

On Saturday, Zaborek was arrested after two people came forward and told police a friend had admitted to killing a man.

Dodge County District Attorney Bill Bedker asked for a $100,000 cash bond, saying that Zaborek valued his friendship with a cold-hearted, calculated killer more than doing what was right - stepping forward with information to police.

"Within hours of (Khan's) homicide, Zoellick confided to this young man what he had done, and still he did nothing," Bedker told Court Commissioner Steven Seim. "What he did do was tell Zoellick to get rid of the knife, dispose of (Khan's) personal items and to leave and never come back."

Seim ordered a $25,000 cash bond. Zaborek also is not allowed to leave the state and must check in daily with Watertown police.

Grisly murder
Just hours after a statewide missing persons teletype was issued, two friends of Zoellick's came forward to Watertown police to report that Zoellick had admitted to stealing a car and killing the owner and burying him somewhere near the storage units located on the north side of Watertown, according to the criminal complaint.

While in custody, Zaborek told police that a week prior to Khan's death, Zoellick told Zaborek he was thinking about driving to Chicago to steal a Mitsubishi Lancer "Evo" Evolution sports car and possibly killing the owner to accomplish his goal. When asked to go along, Zaborek refused and told Zoellick he was being "stupid," according to the criminal complaint.

On Oct. 1, Zaborek received a call from Zoellick to see the "Evo" he had parked at his parents' storage shed. After a short ride in the vehicle - which Zaborek told police he knew was stolen - Zoellick admitted that he had "stabbed some guy," according to the criminal complaint.

Zoellick then showed Zaborek a knife, partially wrapped in a red shirt, and a white plastic bag filled with Khan's navigation system and cell phone. Zaborek told Zoellick to get rid of the car, the personal belongings and to never come back, according to the criminal complaint.

Zoellick later told Zaborek that he and his girlfriend, Tammy LaFave, 21, of Delafield, drove to Milwaukee to meet Khan. Zoellick allegedly pulled a gun on Khan while LaFave helped tied the Milwaukee man's hands and place duct tape over his eyes before driving back to the Watertown area, according to the criminal complaint.

Zoellick told Zaborek that Khan had pleaded for his life, promising not to tell anyone about the theft and that he had a family. Zoellick then relayed in graphic detail how he had stabbed Khan several times in a wooded area "off the highway" before burying him in a shallow grave behind his parents' storage facility off Boulder Road. Police were able to recover Khan's body, which was positively identified by a family member, according to the criminal complaint.

As news of Khan's disappearance was broadcast by the media, Zoellick began to panic, asking Zaborek to check near the storage units to see "if any cops were around." During a subsequent conversation, Zoellick said that he "shouldn't have done it" and that he would "never go to jail." Zaborek again told Zoellick to "leave and never look back," according to the criminal complaint.

At about 11:07 p.m. on Oct. 3, members of the Watertown Police Department and Milwaukee Police Department were conducting surveillance on the Zoellick home when Travis Zoellick stepped outside. Upon seeing police, Zoellick went inside the home and ran into an upstairs bedroom where he shot himself in the head while his girlfriend watched, according to a press release from the Watertown Police Department.

Zoellick was transported to Watertown Hospital and later flown by MedFlight to University Hospital and Clinics where he died the next day, said Watertown Police Chief Tim Roets.

"(Zaborek) obviously valued his friendship with Zoellick as more important than sharing information with law enforcement," Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said. "Most of us have kids this age. And as a parent we have to let our kids know that when a friend crosses the line like this, they cannot put themselves in a position like this to protect their friend, especially a murderer. Look where his decision put him today."