Chase Covington was a compassionate and caring young man.

His family wished someone could have been as sympathizing before he was found on the middle of the road suffering from a fatal head injury late Saturday night.

There's still time for that responsible person to come forward and provide Commerce City police with any help solving the mystery of how Covington was killed, his family said Monday during a news conference at the city's council chambers.

"I believe that every human has goodness inside," Valerie Leo, Covington's mom, tearfully said as she was flanked by several of her son's siblings, relatives and close friends.

"One of the traits my son possessed was compassion, and as a mother I instilled that in him, along with honesty and respect. As human beings we all understand what fear and confusion feels like. Whatever happened that night that my son was taken from me and his family - I'm trying to understand," she said.

Commerce City detectives have said the death is suspicious, and they are looking at the possibility that Covington, 26, was a victim of a hit-and-run. Even then detectives acknowledged that they are stymied by a lack of evidence on the scene to indicate that a vehicle struck Covington.

The Adams County coroner has ruled that Covington died from blunt-force trauma to the head. The head injuries so far do not suggest that Covington died from an accidental fall, detective Mike Saunders said. The victim also suffered from fractures to his fingers, but he didn't have any other serious bodily injuries, the detective said.

Police officers found the victim in the 5900 block of Colorado 85 just north of U.S. 270. Part of the victim's body was in the roadway and the other part was in the middle shoulder of the highway, the detective said.

"Where this case is difficult for us as investigators is that we're not exactly sure how he ended up in the roadway or what exactly caused the injuries to him," Saunders said. "We are looking at the possibility that he was a victim of a hit-and-run accident, but we cannot rule out that there may be some other reason for the injuries that he received."

What detectives, family and friends know is that Covington was at a wedding party at a restaurant about two hours before and about two miles away from where his body was found. He left the wedding sometime between 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

A female friend who was with him gave him a short ride and dropped him off at Colorado 2 and East 72nd Avenue after the two got into an argument, friends and police said.

A witness told detectives over the weekend that he believed he saw Covington walking southbound in the middle, narrow shoulder of Colorado 85 about 11:15 p.m. and heading into northbound traffic, Saunders said. About 11:30 p.m., another witness phoned police to say a body was on the highway.

Shortly before the afternoon news conference, Saunders disclosed that detectives received information from another tipster who reported that a yellow, newer model Nissan Xterra sport utility vehicle was seen in the area just before Covington was found.

Anyone with information about the case should contact the police at 303-227-8836.

Covington and his family are from Utah, his mother said. They moved often because Covington's father was in the hotel industry. He was a musician who played bass guitar. When not strumming the bass, Covington enjoyed watching the Colorado Avalanche and being in the kitchen cooking up some specialties.

Leo, Covington's mother, recalled that her son basically saved her life when he was born.

"I was a very young mother, and when I gave birth to that boy it was a whole new beginning," Leo said. "...He changed my life. He gave me a purpose."